- Plan a Perfect Week
- San Francisco Tours
- Wine Country Tours
- Silicon Vly/San Jose
- Tours with more than 6
We can pick you up anywhere within 90 minutes’ drive of San Francisco—at your home, hotel, ship's terminal, or the airport!
Tour SAN FRANCISCO's most fascinating & unique NEIGHBORHOODS
What's it like to actually live in San Francisco? Join us locals in our natural habitats, exploring places most other San Francisco tours miss.
- North Beach: historically Italian, this is the neighborhood where the beatniks hung out…filled today with sidewalk cafes, good coffee, chocolate, gelato…and tai chi enthusiasts (if you get there early)
- Haight-Ashbury: vibrant and colorful street life, blocks and blocks of beautiful Victorian homes, eclectic shopping
- The Castro: the world-famous Gay village under the Rainbow Flag
- Japantown: a little-known history of jazz greats, shops that take pride in traditional Japanese culture...modern commerce too
- Mission District: an artists' quarter featuring a hundred exciting murals, many Spanish-speaking residents...live music, dance, theater, mojo…and some of the city's best restaurants
- Chinatown: exotic and kinetic...a bargain-hunter's dream
San Francisco "Neighborhoods" Tour Itinerary
We start by strolling through Japantown, to see its singular shops and museum-quality objects d'art. We move to the Haight-Ashbury, home of the New Age, with blocks of Victorian homes, charming views, and a great place to find vintage clothing, posters, lava lamps, or the right tattoo. We explore the fabulous Castro neighborhood, the city's vibrant Gay mecca, where we take in the scene…before lunch in a popular local restaurant.
Afternoon begins at the 200-year-old, adobe Mission Dolores, in The Mission district, where we enjoy this dynamic neighborhood's evocative murals. We tour historically Italian North Beach, with its peaceful piazza (called Washington Square) and charming side streets filled with shops offering freshly roasted cappuccino and authentic gelato…or exotic, kinetic Chinatown…closing the day with a panoramic city and Bay view from atop Telegraph Hill.
“Leave your car behind and just soak in the beauty of the Bay Area.”
“We felt the day was a perfect blend of walking, driving, history, and back-and-forth dialog with you…We would highly recommend "A Friend in Town" and Jesse to anyone looking to learn a lot about San Francisco and do so in a stress-free environment where you can leave your car behind and just soak in the beauty of the Bay area.”
– Jeff & Laura S. (Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin)
What will it COST?
Because each tour is designed to fit your interests, our fees vary. Basically you pay by the number of hours in your itinerary. We do not add the fuel surcharges, "license fees," "tax" and mandatory gratuities that many other companies do.
|Average Duration||Additional Costs
(paid to vendors)
|Gratuity||Add'l Hours||Minimum Duration|
|$600*||$630*||8h||Entrance Fees, Lunch||**||$70 ea||6h|
* Not per-person
* These fees are for couples, groups of up to 6 people or solo travelers. For groups of 7 to 25 (whereby we charter a minibus), please ask for a quote.
** A gratuity is customary and will be appreciated, but is not required. Please note that if you are referred by a Travel Agent, s/he may add a commission (fee for finding and making arrangements with us) to your total.
Why Choose Our San Francisco Tours?
- We take you up close. Stroll Haight or Castro streets, with time to step inside shops with un-usual goods.
- You get personal attention. We put San Francisco's attractions into their historical context, going where you want to go, and helping you remember you're on vacation.
- We can go anywhere. Our comfortable minivan goes places buses are not allowed.
- Our tours are flexible. Have a question? We'll take time to answer it. Want more time at a Buddhist monastery or the best chocolate truffle place in the city? No problem.
- Someone else does the driving. You see the city instead of fighting traffic, one-way streets and steep hills, searching for elusive parking spots.
- We offer full- and half-day San Francisco tours.
- Our guide is a trained historian.
- There are many other reasons why we're your best choice!
“Far and away superior to any other tour I have taken”
“We especially enjoyed the behind the scenes Chinatown and all the wonderful information Jesse had on a variety of topics. My students and I learned a lot and had a great time. Thanks! P.S. This was far and away superior to any other tour I have taken in the bay area!”
– Peggy L. (El Paso, Texas)
More San Francisco Tours
Our San Francisco tours present the city as an historic and multi-faceted urban landscape. If you want to learn even more about particular places in this 230-year-old metropolis, take the walking tours offered by San Francisco City Guides: these tours, led by trained volunteers, are free—though at the end they request a donation to support their work. Most are 90 minutes to two hours' long and offer in-depth looks at attractions, architecture, famous residents…Coit Tower's 27 murals showing California of the 1930s, historic Fisherman's Wharf (yes, there's more to it than overpriced souvenirs, Irish coffee and sea lions), windswept Land's End (near The Cliff House), the Yerba Buena Arts Center, the Palace Hotel (once the most luxurious in the world), the new South Beach neighborhood, and haunts of the strange and notorious. cf. our Top Ten Must-See Places to Visit in San Francisco
Call: 510-619-3619Reserve Your Tour